[wp-testers] WP RC2 issues and observations

Matt Disher datapoohbah at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 18:00:44 GMT 2005

I know I'm a little late to the party, but I just had the opportunity
to upgrade two of my heavier use sites to the latests and greatest.
I've dabbled with it a bit and just recently thought it was getting
close enough to take the risk.

I'm a little sorry I did.  I don't want to get off on the wrong foot.
I love WordPress and love where it's going.  But some of the things
I've run into are more beta issues than Release candidate issues to
me.

I'm also probably a little on the fringe because I have to run my
stuff on Winblows and IIS.  So I'll probably have some issues that
others won't.

The first thing I had to do was comment out some code (of course my
PHP,ini is showing errors, but it's code that's not appropriate for me
anyway.

in wp-settings.php

"// Fix for PHP as CGI hosts that set SCRIPT_FILENAME to something
ending in php.cgi for all requests
//if ( strpos($_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME'], 'php.cgi') ==
strlen($_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME']) - 7 )
//	$_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME'] = $_SERVER['PATH_TRANSLATED'];
"

The WYSIWYG editor.   originally I thought I'd love this thing for
quick and dirty posts.   But unless you're just typing in some text
it's just too hard to use.  The results are simply not predictable.
You can try and tweak the html and it will simply unwind it for you.

I am unable to so something as simple as:

Some text
some more text

without a lot of issues.

Saving and continuing to edit works.  Saving and/or posing fails to
redirect back.  you just timeout or get a blank page.  Same results in
Firefox and Opera.

If you try to delete a post (edit) find fancy red delete button,
you'll actually crash opera.  this is no good.

Even turning 'off' this miracle editor, doesn't really  help me much.
I've had to revert to hand coding html in another app or text editor
and pasting it in.  It just keeps hosing stuff up.

Now before you flame me, these are just bugs and non technical ones at that.

Like I said I want Wordpress to rule.  I don't want to sound overly
negative but I probably do.  I'm not running many plugins and have
tried disabling most of them.

-datapoohbah.