[wp-testers] Testing 'Live' Nightly Builds

Roy Schestowitz wp-lowtraffic at schestowitz.com
Wed Dec 14 04:51:09 GMT 2005

_____/ On Tue 13 Dec 2005 19:21:25 GMT, [David House] wrote : \_____

Hi David,

> On 13/12/05, Roy Schestowitz <wp-lowtraffic at schestowitz.com> wrote:
>> As merely a proposal (for testing purposes), perhaps it's worth adding:
>>
>> mkdir ~/download/nightly-builds/testbed/wordpress-`date +%Y-%m-%d`
>> cp -R wordpress/ ~/download/nightly-builds/testbed/wordpress-`date
>> +%Y-%m-%d`
>> cp /tmp/wp-settings.php ~/download/nightly-builds/testbed/wordpress-`date
>> +%Y-%m-%d`
>
> If I've read this right, this would create a whole load of folders
> containing WordPress as it was on different days. Seeing as subversion
> already versions, that seems a little redundant.

True,  but  not everyone uses svn and it is sometimes easier to  just  hop
from one active installation to another.

> The 'live demo' side
> of things is already covered by opensourcecms.com,

That's  what I had in mind when I wrote this. Why have the demos off-site?
You can give existing users insight into what's coming up.

> and this would just
> take up server space. If we wanted one on our server (which makes
> sense in some ways), we should limit it to the latest code, not create
> a new folder for each day.

I  left  out  the part about destroying the trail,  much  like  compressed
archives  remain alive for just 2 weeks. The following could be run  every
night.

rm -rf ~/download/nightly-builds/testbed/wordpress-`date -d "14 day
ago" +%Y-%m
-%d`.tar.gz

Overall, let's say John Bloggs submitted a patch, which is said to have been
fixed the  following day.  John Bloggs  can then hop onto the latest nightly
version and confirm that the bug was  fixed in its entirety. No need to look
at diffs.

Roy