[wp-testers] CSS in WYSIWYG

Andy Skelton skeltoac at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 01:56:50 GMT 2005

On 12/11/05, Richard Jenkins <blackbirdcottage at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are WYSIWYG editors available that do let you add custom CSS
> classes. Xihha (http://xinha.python-hosting.com/wiki/Examples) for
> example has a sidebar with a list of classes that you can select. I
> think another has a drop-down menu, but I can't recall which one.

TinyMCE does have such a dropdown. We removed it from the UI because
we don't yet have a way to know which classes to put in the select
element.

Here's a thought: theme authors now have functions.php. In the editor
we could do something like this:

$image_classes = apply_filter('editor_image_classes', array());
if ( count($image_classes) > 0 ) {
 echo "<select ...>";
 foreach ( $image_classes as $label => $class )
  echo "<option value='$class'>$label</option>";
 echo "</select>";
}

And then the theme authors would do this:

add_filter('editor_image_classes', 'oogabooga_image_classes');
function oogabooga_image_classes($image_classes) {
 $image_classes += array('alignright' => 'alignright', 'alt
(Alternate)' => 'alt');
 return $image_classes;
}

Thoughts? Opinions? Bug reports? Flames? :-)

Andy