[wp-testers] is tiny-mce broken on Camino/Safari or is that my misconfiguration?

Roy Schestowitz wp-lowtraffic at schestowitz.com
Thu Dec 8 05:16:34 GMT 2005

_____/ On Thu 08 Dec 2005 04:37:56 GMT, [Andy Skelton] wrote : \_____

> On 12/7/05, Roy Schestowitz <wp-lowtraffic at schestowitz.com> wrote:
>> For what it's worth, the same happens in the latest of Opera, in
>> Konqueror, and
>> in Netscape 4.8 (no surprise). I installed the latest build (8-12-2005). All
>> works okay in Mozilla 1.7.
>
> For the record, the gzdeflate problem was unrelated to any browser issue.
>
> Roy, you seem to have a lot of browsers installed somewhere. I need a
> good list of browsers that can't use TinyMCE, and their user agent
> string patterns. I can use it to make WP revert to Quicktags for those
> browsers, even if they have the rich editor switched on.
>
> One browser I'm missing is Netscape. Could you find out the lowest
> version that works, if any, and the user agent string they use? That
> would rock.

I can't imagine that old versions of Netscape will still be available for
download. Even oldversion.com does not have any. The latest of Netscape,
however, is a gross re-use of Mozilla Firefox, so should work fine. My
colleague uses Netscape 7 and it appears to be a close relative of Mozilla,
which is compatible with TinyMCE. My bet would be that version 6 (or 7) is
where support was in tact. I have Netscape 5/6 on a Mac, so I could possibly
check.

You might not like this, but here is the string sent by Netscape:

Mozilla/4.8 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.4.20-4GB i686)

[No 'Netscape' or 'netscape' or 'communicator', so might be safer to
use WYSIWYG
if agent is known to work rather than reject if the agent is known /not/ to
work]

As for the remainder:

Mozilla:-- Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040913

Konqueror:-- Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.3; Linux) (KHTML,
like Gecko)

Opera:-- Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; X11; Linux i686; en) Opera 8.5

[Note that Opera still spoof although I read that they had stopped it.
Opera is
useful for zealot sites that reject anything that is not Internet Explorer. A
regex accepting Internet Explorer (MSIE) might trigger issues with Opera]

Let me know if you need more tests. I can test on Mac OS 9, as well as old
versions of Windows. If you can put a mock-up page of the Write screen, (which
is also public) then you could then use http://browsershots.org/ .

Hope it helps,

Roy