[wp-testers] Page Slug Collisions

Rick Beckman rick.beckman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 04:59:51 GMT 2005

Previously, that functionality was present--Wordpress would append a
unique ID on duplicate slugs. However, it was found that there was no
need to do so, for instance, when a two pages (with unique slugs) have
differing parent pages/paths:

/personal/about/  ... is a different page than,
/business/about/ .... so there should be no need for the appended unique ID.

Perhaps allowing for that has caused the software to cease appending
an ID when it is actually needed?

--
Rick Beckman

On 12/6/05, Tyson Tate <ttate at calpoly.edu> wrote:
> I was having odd issues with a page on my WP 2.0 site (latest build).
> Essentially, I went to my admin interface and started editing my
> "About" page which had a slug of "about". I saved my changes and
> attempted to view the changes on the site using the "/about"
> and reinstalled WP's files before I realized that I had (somehow)
> created two About pages, both with slugs of "about" but with
> different IDs.
>
> I'm assuming that I had accidentally created two About pages myself
> and that they weren't created by WP.
>
> Shouldn't WordPress warn me? I think it would be nice if, when you
> made a page with a page-slug collision, WordPress either:
>
> 1. (Preferred) Changed my new page's slug to "aboutX" (where X is the
> lowest number where there are no slug collisions) and then warned me
> with something like: "Warning: A page with slug "about" already
> exists. This page's slug has been changed to "about2". You can change
> the page slug by editing the page _here_."
>
> 2. (Ugly) Give me an error and encourage me to change the errors of
> my ways. Redirect me to goatse for being a dummy.
>
> Does this sound logical?
>
> -Tyson
>
> --
> Tyson Tate
> * Librarian & Member, Mustang Band
> * Team Member, CalPoly Triathlon Team
> * Webmaster & Active, Kappa Kappa Psi
> * Editor, Entropy Magazine
> * Developer & Tech Writer, CADRC
> * Freelance Graphic Designer

Rick Beckman
www.Beckman-Ministries.com

Check out (and contribute!) to OpenWord, the FREE Bible-believer's encyclopedia:
http://openword.fellowship-hall.com/