[wp-testers] Page Slug Collisions

Tyson Tate ttate at calpoly.edu
Wed Dec 7 04:40:51 GMT 2005

I was having odd issues with a page on my WP 2.0 site (latest build).
Essentially, I went to my admin interface and started editing my
"About" page which had a slug of "about". I saved my changes and
attempted to view the changes on the site using the "/about"
and reinstalled WP's files before I realized that I had (somehow)
created two About pages, both with slugs of "about" but with
different IDs.

I'm assuming that I had accidentally created two About pages myself
and that they weren't created by WP.

Shouldn't WordPress warn me? I think it would be nice if, when you
made a page with a page-slug collision, WordPress either:

1. (Preferred) Changed my new page's slug to "aboutX" (where X is the
lowest number where there are no slug collisions) and then warned me
with something like: "Warning: A page with slug "about" already
exists. This page's slug has been changed to "about2". You can change
the page slug by editing the page _here_."

2. (Ugly) Give me an error and encourage me to change the errors of
my ways. Redirect me to goatse for being a dummy.

Does this sound logical?

-Tyson

--
Tyson Tate