[wp-testers] Problem: Call to undefined function: html_entity_decode()

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Tue Dec 6 03:59:42 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 07:24 -0500, Robert Deaton wrote:
> html_entity_decode is another function that was added in PHP 4.3, so
> until someone adds a compatability function into WP.
>
> Matt, Ryan, perhaps its time to drop support for versions prior to
> 4.3, this is the second function that I've seen WP rely on lately that
> is 4.3 only. 4.1 and 4.2 versions are a few years old already, after
> all.

In this case, we shouldn't use html_entity_decode() at all.  We want to
decode only HTML_SPECIALCHARS, not HTML_ENTITIES. If we decode
HTML_ENTITIES, we can get into charset problems when decoding characters
beyond the ASCII range.  We just need a wp_specialchars_decode() fxn
instead.

For now I think we can still support 4.1 and above.  I'd rather not bump
requirements until we absolutely must.

Ryan