[wp-testers] User Level revisited (after a year)

Sean Hayford O'Leary hayfordoleary at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 00:27:34 GMT 2005

WordPress has a good backend and prints clean code. It's simple, easy, and
searchable. For small sites, I almost always recommend using it as a CMS.

But I somewhat agree -- WordPress is still first and foremost a blogging
system. But open source is meant to be built on after all.

On 12/5/05, Humaneasy Consulting <humaneasy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think this issue starts from a wrong ideia. I already discussed with a
> friend of mine that WordPress IS NOT a Content Management System but a
> Weblog System but it is so good that people start to wish it is.
>
> A Weblog system is a personal diary and we must assume that the people
> that we invite to be co-authors are our personal friends and that they are
> people we trust.
>
> A CMS system does not need to have friends around but it need to have a
> very tight Workflow to avoid the kind of problems mentioned already.
>
> If you wan't a CMS with Roles and Levels and a big professional Workflow
> then you should choose something like ezPublish or Typo3 and not a blog
> system. A good example is at http://www.care2x.org/ made with Typo3.
>
> If you just wan't to blog keep yourself with Wordpress.
>
> Even if you need something that is more than a Webolog but not necessarely
> a full blown CMS you can stick with something Drupal (or Civicspace). Good
> example at http://www.culturekitchen.com/
>
> Thanks to FOSS you have a lot of options. Diferent solutions for diferent
> needs. Don't try to make it all-in-one.
>
> Best,
>
> Lopo

Sean Hayford O'Leary