[wp-testers] Smart Quotes and Commenting

Sean Hayford O'Leary hayfordoleary at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 04:45:48 GMT 2005

Yeah, this is also a problem if you copy-and-paste something from, say,
Microsoft Word into WordPress.

It's easy to fix (and I apologise -- I'm not comfortable enough with Trac to
submit it there). Around line 18 in wp-includes/functions-formatting.php,
add:

   $curl = str_replace('"', '“', $curl);
   $curl = str_replace('"', '”', $curl);
   $curl = str_replace(''', '‘', $curl);
   $curl = str_replace(''', '’', $curl);
   $curl = str_replace('…', '…', $curl);
   $curl = str_replace('–', '—', $curl);

That should solve most basic problems. If someone wants to add this to the
Trac, feel free ;).

On 12/1/05, Rick Beckman <rick.beckman at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just noticed in one of my recent comments that if someone posts
> "smart quotes" in a comment (for example, by quoting text that
> Wordpress has formatted in a post), the quotes are saved as their
> actual characters, rather than being converted into entity form. I
> remember reading several months ago elsewhere that this could possibly
> break certain feed readers?
>
> I'm not sure if it would make it into 2.0, but has any thought ever
> been given to automatically saving certain characters as their
> entities to preserve compatibility?
>
> --
> Rick Beckman
> www.Beckman-Ministries.com