[wp-testers] Change Thumbnail size ?

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Thu Dec 1 20:04:47 GMT 2005

Aaron Brazell wrote:
> Well, you can resize it using standard grab points.  That's probably why.
> The only flaw in this I see though is that there's no way to constrict size
> ratio.  If I grab the corner in Word or Photoshop, etc and hold the shift
> key, the size is constrained. Not so in WP.

The thumbnail produced is set to have a maximum width of 128 and a
maximum height of 96, and be resized in proportion vertically and
horizontally.

When you drag the handles to make it bigger, the resolution of the
thumbnail doesn't get bigger.  The editor just stretches the small image
to the new size.  If you make it really big, that'll make the image look
blocky.

If you want a clear version, you should insert the full sized image:
Cclick on the thumbnail in the browser, click "Using Thumbnail" until is
says "Using Original", and then drag that into the post.

There is currently no way to set the maximum thumbnail size to affect
the thumbnails that are produced.

Note- To determine resize with aspect ratio inside a maximum area, I
think this works:

xnew = ((xmax/xorig)/(ymax/yorig) >= 1) ? xmax : xorig * ymax / yorig;
ynew = ((xmax/xorig)/(ymax/yorig) <= 1) ? ymax : yorig * xmax / xorig;

Owen