[wp-testers] WordPress cache, and IIS

John E. Iverson john at jei.afraid.org
Thu Dec 1 01:42:14 GMT 2005

I happen to be one of the very few idiots who hasn't installed Apache
web server on my Windows 2003 server, I am still trying to make
WordPress work underneath IIS webserver. Although your work has been
INCREDABLY great at trying to make WordPress work with IIS, I have had
to do some "stuff" with rewrite rules, especially, in order to get it to
play nice with IIS.

I'm NOT a programmer, but more of an administrator. As such, I am more
interested in setting the "new" user levels, and getting the package to
perform. Making the backups, restores, and such.

I have been around a few years, and know that it's not a really great
idea to try to chmod 755 when you're working with a Microsoft or Apple
operating system..... They JUST don't conform to the usual UNIX Style of
thinking?

If you want to edict that "You have to run an Apache server", I
understand, but I don't think that Microsoft or Apple would agree.

I've been working with WordPress since version 1.1 and getting around
the .httpd issues by using a third party rewriter. 1.5 made things
better, but I think I'm starting to see more issues with plugins using
.httpd and the core of WordPress itself relying more on UNIX specific
file oriented commands... I know that chmod doesn't work very well for
MSDOS. I'm not sure if fwrite does?

The new cache system seems to work fine in IIS, as long as you don't
want to make changes... ie enable a plugin. With the cache enabled, I
can't change the state of a plugin.... Is this an issue related to
trying to modify files in a UNIX way of thinking?

The bottom line is.... I could install Apache on my tiny little server,
and I could modify .httpd, but if I work for FORD, GMC, Or the US
government, and I have to run IIS.... what can U do to help me out?

Just concerned,  John-e59