[wp-testers] 664 - 404

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 20:18:54 GMT 2005

Yeah, each number in permissions represents something. The first is owner,
the second is group, and the third is world. If the .htaccess file belongs
to the webserver user (usually nobody) then 644 is plenty, where if it
belongs to only the same group then 664 could write to it, and if it doesn't
belong to the owner or group, 666 would let anyone write to it.

xero_cool, I recommend you google for unix permissions for more info, before
you go telling people incorrect information.

On Apr 2, 2005 2:51 PM, Gregory Wild-Smith <greg at twilightuniverse.com>
wrote:

> Again... mine is 644. WP is fine.
>
> I assume though that this is because I created it on the webserver, and
> have only edited it on the webserver. Never ftp'ing it. Just used
> cpanel's file manager to edit it.
>
> Basically its to do with who owns the file, right? So if you can change
> that... then its not an issue. I have no idea how you'd change that tho.
> Its not WP's fault, its the fault of the owner of the file. WP just
> needs permission to write to it. On mine it has that at 644, your
> mileage may vary...

--Robert Deaton
http://anothersadsong.com