[wp-testers] 664 - 404

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 16:22:14 GMT 2005

Server config wouldn't have much to do with it, but chowning the file would.
If your .htaccess isn't chowned to the same user or group as the webserver,
then 664 isn't enough, because only the user and group that own the file
would be able to write to it. Its always safer to give only the minimum
permissions necessary, so a lot of people note that its best to put it as
664.

On Apr 2, 2005 9:58 AM, Gregory Wild-Smith <greg at twilightuniverse.com>
wrote:

> Mine is 644, and wp handles that fine.
>
> Some servers handle permissions differently though, so my guess is for
> your server you need 666 *shrugs* one of those wierd server config
> issues I would guess.
>
> Podz wrote:
>
> > If my .htaccess is 664, wp will not (cannot ?) write to it, so pages
> 404.
> > If I change it to 666, all is good.
> >
> > Noting it because I have seen in a couple of places that 664 or less
> > is better for .htaccess ?

--Robert Deaton
http://anothersadsong.com