[wp-pro] wanting work for free

Joni Mueller joni at jonimueller.com
Tue Jun 22 14:18:35 UTC 2010

I agree.  This kind of solicitation does not belong on this list, *Ray*.  Isn't there a Craigslist in your city?  Don't you have a pimply nephew with a bootleg copy of Frontpage?

I mean, if any one of your sites is pulling in six figures, then you can afford to pay for the "serious talent" you are seeking.  I am quite sure that cable company you are partnering with is paid in U.S. dollars, not sweat, a promise, or just the pleasure of getting to say they work with you.  Good grief.

Like Ash said, I have my own pet projects; I don't need to take on someone else's.  Bottom line: If you don't have the funds to undertake this project, wait until you do or do it yourself.  But don't come on a list like this begging for free labor.

Joni Mueller
Pixelita Designs

From: Raymond Hines III <ray at gatorcountry.com>
Subject: [wp-pro] Well rounded WP/WPMU/BP expert needed for nat'l
        sports  network

[snipped]

Here's the catch. We are a start-up operation at this point and can only offer sweat equity. As with all startups, there's always a higher degree of risk, but the rewards are so much greater.

We have an added advantage in that at least six of our sites are already long running, established sites (for example, ours has been in business in 14 years and pulls in high six figures in annual revenues)

[snipped]

We are former partners with ESPN as well as current partners with a large cable company so the possibilities are much more real (and lucrative) than most start-ups...

[snipped]

This is a very serious venture so we need serious developer(s) with serious talent!

From: Ash Goodman <ash at thinkinginvain.com>

If you have 6 sites that are working well already you can afford to
pay someone to build number 7. I can't speak for all the pros on this
list, but if I am going to invest in a website it will be mine, NOT
someone elses.