[wp-pro] plugin bugfix estimate request

Pixline › Paolo Tresso supporto at pixline.net
Tue Feb 24 18:15:15 GMT 2009

Hi,

I'm Paolo Tresso, actual mantainer of a once popular WordPress plugin
called Gengo

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/gengo/

It's a quite complete solution for multilanguage blogs in WordPress,
but with a little (if any) development team. I would like to explain
my problem.

This plugin, originally created by Jamie Talbot, was working quite
well for WP 2.1/2.2; the original author almost dismissed it because
of null time to work on this project, and I've picked up it trying to
make it working with WP 2.3. This brought the plugin a bit of
popularity again, and in the last 2 years I've acted as the maintainer
of this project, which has a notable installed base, with mixed
versions and issues.

Now, actually is my turn to have null time to mantain this plugin, and
no other real php coder spotted up in the last year to help with it.
There's little mailing list of volunteers, but quite no-one with php
experience.. and WordPress 2.7 is a major change, considered that the
plugin seems to have some deprecated things from my 2.3 and 2.5 porting.

So, while I'm still looking for free hands in this opensource project,
I'm actually considering to sum donations and code-bounties to pay a
professional (who knows WordPress more than me, and that's easy :-)
who will work with me at it to make it work in WordPress 2.7 (maybe
even WPMU).

If you feel you can face this challenge, I'd like you to download
version 2.5.3 on the plugin page, test it with WordPress 2.5.x
(possibly a vanilla installation), and write up what you think about
it, its status, its future, your project estimate for it.

You can see a Gengo-powered website on http://pixline.net ; that was
WordPress 2.5 (working ~80%), while many of its issues are listed here:

http://plugins.trac.wordpress.org/report/9?COMPONENT=gengo
http://wordpress.org/tags/gengo

I look forward to your response, thank you for your time.

Paolo Tresso

http://pixline.net
http://www.linkedin.com/in/paolotresso