[wp-pro] Re: WordPRess Coder Needed

Lisa Sabin-Wilson lisa at ewebscapes.com
Tue Oct 21 19:21:20 GMT 2008

I agree with Joni. There is a case for the guy/gal who has not had
experience with hiring a freelancer before - therefore, they don't know the
"ground rules", per se.  It's up to us to educate and inform them on the
work we do in terms of time and cost.

For example a "quick" CSS tweak may *seem* like a small request that will
only take 5-10 minutes.  But, as freelancers/designers/developers - we know
that quick CSS tweaks are rarely *quick* - as much as we'd like them to be.
Take into account how that quick CSS tweak affects the rest of the layout -
and additional testing / tweaks that may need to be done to compensate - -
then the time involved in browser testing to ensure cross-compatibility, etc
- - you're looking at more than a quick 5-10 minute tweak job - - that is,
if you want the job done right the first time.  (My Dad always says  - "if
you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have time to do it
over?")

Too many times I've heard from my clients... "Lisa, it's just a quick fix -
- 5 minutes - tops!".  For me, there are very *rare* items that take only "5
minutes tops!" and now, most of my long time clients now know better than to
assume time limits.  Now, they usually just end their request with....
'whatever you think is fair....'

~Lisa Sabin-Wilson