[wp-pro] A Modest Proposal: creating a more exciting WP mailing list

Paul Menard paul at codehooligans.com
Fri Feb 22 14:51:11 GMT 2008

If you reread this page http://codex.wordpress.org/Mailing_Lists, you
will see there are many many different types of mailing lists in
operation. There is a lists just for Documentation just for people who
are involved in documenting parts of the WordPress sytem. This is not
a support list. You would not expect to see a question there about how
to write a Widget.

Similarly the wp-pro lists is not a support list. As the paragraph read:

Professional
Sometimes there are professional consulting opportunities surrounding
some aspect of the WordPress codebase for people who are familiar with
the program. This list is for people looking for WordPress consulting
to connect with professionals who provide it. This is the list for you
if you are looking for professional paid help regarding WordPress

MY interpretation of the description of this list is it's not a
support list. There are other sections on the Mailing_Lists page where
you can subscribe to support lists. The wp-pro list (and again this is
MY interpretation) is to connect those seeking and willing to pay for
work. The wp-pro list is not somewhere where I would expect a long
drawn out thread of how to do something in WordPress. There are
support lists for this. The basic posts to this list are something
like "I need a custom Widget/Theme/Plugin. Willing to pay $XXX.
Contact me at ....". The developers like myself don't replay back to
the list the reply is direct back to the potential client because we
are now in a bidding process for the work. I'm a freelance developer
and work mostly in WordPress these days. I rely on the wp-pro list to
be a simple list where I can get new work.

Again, this list is not really meant to be a 'community' in that
people exchange a lot of ideas and concerns. If you want 'alive' then
subscribe to the wp-hackers list and read through the pages or rants
(sometimes) about the smallest little change to the WordPress admin
interface coming up in WP 2.5. Or the changes to the File Upload code
to use Flash instead of the iframe.

P-

Paul Menard
paul at codehooligans.com