[wp-pro] 2 WP Installs for 10 bucks

David Coveney david at interconnectit.com
Thu Feb 21 08:44:14 GMT 2008

While I think Tim was a little hasty in his response, I do understand his
point.

$10 isn’t much.  Installing or upgrading WP isn’t a difficult job either

but it can be!  With clients who want a WP service hosted on our machines we
charge nothing for the setup because it’s so darned quick and easy.  But if
it’s going on their server
 we have to say it’ll be an hourly charge.  I’ve
had one install eat a whole day in time because the server turned out to be
set up incorrectly and the hosts needed talking through it all.  Then add on
billing, accounting for the payment (a pro has to do accounting, no
choices!) and maybe chasing it up

Already it looks like it’s a troublesome job – if you follow the
instructions WP should take a few minutes to get going.  So that’s a sign of
problem number one – perhaps it’s taking time because there’s a server
issue?  There’s a good chance this could end up eating an afternoon of time.

Then what happens?  Are you stuck at $10 because you agreed a fixed cost
job?  If you ask for more in the event of problems do you then get slated on
the forums?  What if the server is incompatible?  Ultimately, for most
professionals, it simply isn’t worth the risk to their company’s/own
reputation.

The vast majority of times I keep quiet on this conference because a fair
proportion of the requests do indeed appear to be from people hoping for a
very cheap job – often at a fixed price.  Because of the risks inherent, a
real pro simply can’t do that.  It doesn’t help us that the value of the
dollar has dived either, being based in Europe.  I’ve sometimes felt that
this mailing list should be called
“wp-users-in-search-of-people-who-would-like-to-be-professional-soon-and-kno
w-a-lot-but-need-to-get-a-foot-on-the-first-rung-of-the-ladder-and-therefore
-more-willing-to-take-risks”  But that would be harder to remember ;o)

But there’s an answer – if you can’t set up and manage a WordPress
installation, and aren’t going to be able to afford to pay someone in the
future, then WordPress.com is your friend.  Everything’s nicely automated,
protected, and locked down.  Your chances of a major problem with your blog
are significantly reduced.  You can even then pay a pro to do a styling job
on your blog, if required – and it’s impressive what can be done.

We often get people turning up at our office with a £200 budget for a custom
design and we just point them at WordPress.com.  It’s not worth even trying
too hard to do custom work at that level because they’re often (but not
always!) the most troublesome customers, with the least research behind them
and the most questions.  That gets expensive – especially when it means that
better paying clients are having to wait.

So Tim had a point – perhaps just a bit harshly put.  You had a point too
:o)

Can we all play nicely now?  If you don’t see a job you don’t want
 just
leave it be!

Cheers!

Dave.