[wp-pro] Several small WP 2.5 plugins needed for nonprofit website

Sprout Technology tech at sproutfund.org
Tue Apr 22 16:08:53 GMT 2008

I help run a small nonprofit organization in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
We're launching a WordPress 2.5 website in mid-May and require a few
small plugins to be developed to assist with the project.

In short, the site we're developing is an interactive expansion to a
previously static newsletter (see
http://newsletter.sproutfund.org/communityconnections).  Briefly, the
site will offer articles, events, related links, and other information
about 100 small community projects that we are supporting with funding.

We are willing to work with one developer (preferred) or multiple
developers to accomplish the goals for the site.  Existing plugins could
be customized to meet our needs or new ones may need to be developed.

(I previously developed a personal website from WP 1.2 to 2.1 so I am
familiar with the older WP data structure, the loop, etc.)

In short, our needs include:

SITE SECTION LOOP FUNCTION
Our organization has several programs.  Using categories (preferred) or
custom fields, we need a simple plugin function that runs from the loop
and can identify the program area of any page or post.  For example,
given a structure such as Categories Root -> Program Area -> Parent ->
Child, a plug-in would identify the program area, given the child.  A
recursive function that intelligently finds the ancestor where the
parent is zero should suffice.  The plugin should feature intelligent
collision management, i.e., in instances where a page or post is
categorized with more than program area, a default should be chosen.

SITE SECTION MAIN PAGES
We'd like each program to have the ability to have slightly different
main page content.  We'd like to be able to specify what goes on that
page; some pages might only feature plain HTML content, others might
include some static HTML, some feed info, and some external data.
Basically, we'd like to mimic the functionality of creating a Drupal
view.  Perhaps this could be accomplished with templates.

PAGE EDITING PERMISSIONS
Individual project managers need to be able to update pages that
describe their project and its activities.  Admins should be able to
specify which pages can be edited by which users.  Ideally, users should
be able to receive "can edit" permission for multiple projects.  (One
possible solution, related to the next need, would be to assign a unique
taxonomy term to each project and assign taxonomic permissions to
specific users.)

AUTOMATIC CATEGORIES FOR USER POSTS
Project managers should be able to make blog posts and have their posts
automatically assigned to a category or taxonomy term that delineates
their project.  Users with multiple project permissions should be given
a choice of available permissions.

ASSOCIATE FLICKR ALBUMS WITH PAGES/POSTS + LIGHTBOX/THICKBOX
We'd like the ability to associate posts and pages with specific Flickr
albums.  At this early stage, we need only have one album for one post.
On the writing page, this should appear as a drop-down list of all
available albums.  There should be a plugin admin page that would
specify our Flickr account details.  The available albums list should be
stored in the wp_options table and be able to be refreshed from the
plugin admin page.  At this early stage, only public photos are needed.
The plugin should create the HTML for photos for display with Lightbox
or Thickbox.  WordPress Flickr Manager
(http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-flickr-manager-1) and
PictureGrid (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/picturegrid) seem like
excellent plugins to start from.  The objective is to create a plugin
that accomplishes what appears at
http://www.sproutfund.org/hothouse/2007#photos).   More robust features
may be requested in a second-generation plugin if first is successful.

ADDITIONAL EXCERPT
We need to be able to specify more than one excerpt.  Ideally, we'd like
to customize the excerpt headings to read "Web Excerpt" and "Email
Excerpt".

Contracts for other, more complicated plugins may follow if the working
relationship with a developer is productive.

We would prefer to work with a developer with a US telephone number in
case telephone consultation required.  We would prefer project-based
bids but are willing to work with an hourly rate if necessary.

We are a tax-exempt nonprofit organization that supports small,
community projects in Southwestern Pennsylvania.

If interested, please contact Matt Hannigan at The Sprout Fund at tech
[at] sproutfund.org.  Please provide reference to previous sites built
or plugins developed and preliminary cost estimates.

The Sprout Fund
5423 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA  15206-3423
(412) 325-0646