[wp-pro] Web Developer/Manager at Berkeley School of Journalism

Scot Hacker shacker at berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 30 19:58:09 GMT 2007

This is a general web developer position, but am posting on this list
because we also make very heavy use of WordPress for student
publishing projects, so we'd  like to find someone with strong WP
skills.

- Scot

-----------------

We are currently seeking a Web Developer/Manager at the UC Berkeley
Graduate School of Journalism.

The Web Developer/Manager will work on a team managing the technical
needs for our growing suite of websites. These include the School's
main public website and private intranet, as well as sites for
various school-related programs, such as the Center for Citizen
Media, China Digital Times, and North Gate News Online. The candidate
will also assist with smaller web-based publications connected to the
School's classes.

The team responds to the needs of the faculty, staff, and students,
working as necessary with department coordinators, instructors, and
the system administrator to keep all sites running smoothly. This
position requires good communication skills, as the candidate will
also be involved in training student assistants, working with staff
to create custom web-based utilities, and responding to web-related
questions of all kinds. This is primarily a technical, rather than an
editorial or design position. However, editorial and design
experience is advantageous.

The School relies heavily on PHP/MySQL web database applications,
both open source and custom built. The incumbent must have strong PHP/
MySQL development experience, as well as a solid working knowledge of
HTML and CSS.

The School is solely Macintosh-based and runs its own Apple XServes,
so prospective candidates must be Mac-friendly and Unix-capable.
Applicants with Apache configuration experience are desired. The
School also webcasts a regular schedule of live events so some
familiarity with video compression and media streaming techniques is
preferred.

Responsibilities:
• Manage and upgrade the School's main website and intranet and
assist with smaller websites connected to the School's classes and
other related programs
• Create secure and stable web applications built on open standards
• Prioritize requests coming from multiple sources and respond to the
needs of faculty, staff, and students
• Work closely with department coordinators, instructors, and the
system administrator
• Assist students with web development questions

Requirements:
• Experience with PHP web application development and MySQL database
administration
• Expertise in HTML and CSS
• Experience working with or building content management systems and/
or customizing WordPress themes, plug-ins, or a similar publishing
platform
• Experience with Mac OS X or the ability to be adaptable and to
learn quickly
• Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills

Preferred:
• Experience with Python and streaming media servers
• Proficient graphical web design and writing/editorial skills
• Experience working with frameworks, such as Rails, Django,
Drupal or Symfony, and configuring and managing Apache
• Ability to work with Macromedia Dreamweaver (to assist students)
• Experience working with journalists or within a news media
organization

The annual salary for this position is $70,000.

The University of California, Berkeley, is an Equal Opportunity
Employer. We offer a diverse working environment, competitive
salaries, and comprehensive benefits. Apply online at: http://
jobs.berkeley.edu indicating the job code 7390