[wp-polyglots] translate.wordpress.org

Nikolay Bachiyski nb at nikolay.bg
Sat Feb 20 08:41:22 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 01:41, Mattias Tengblad <mst at eyesx.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I agree with you Stas.
>
> I also think that we should leave svn repo's as the final production
> location with manual commit by team leaders.
>
> IMO, GlotPress got really good potential but is not yet quite mature as a
> main production location (I rather use poedit<->SVN for now).

All the final translations should be in GlotPress. Of course, this
won't happen overnight. At least not before we have good enough tools
easy import and export translations.

The subversion repository won't die. Currently it keeps not only
translations, but the dist/ folder, which will be ineffective to be
kept some place else.

I understand that for a single developer GlotPress can be more of a
burden than help. I, myself, am doing the Bulgarian translation alone,
so I am personally interested to have a good way to sync the
translations in svn with GlotPress :-) It's neither impossible, not
even difficult problem.

GlotPress should be the final production location, because it doesn't
have any theoretical limitations. If we have all the translations
there we can add translation suggestion interface in WordPress admin
panel, we can build and easily expose translation memories, we can do
incredibly smart validation checks. We can do anything. And we can't
do it if only some of the locales use it.