[wp-polyglots] Documentation: Translators Handbook

Nikolay Bachiyski nb at nikolay.bg
Thu Apr 1 16:37:54 UTC 2010

Our current documentation [0] is really old and during the years we
just piled more and more on top of the old structure. Sometimes we
didn't even bother to update it.

Instead of re-writing it in the Codex, I would like to revive it as a
slightly different project – Translators Handbook. It will be separate
from the Codex, it will be in HTML format, it will be hosted on
docs.wordpress.org and it will be kept in a subversion repository.

The goals of the new handbook are to:

* Update, proofread and edit the current documentation.
* Add sections about administering a translation  – adding new
committers and translators, permissions, managing local sites and
forums, points of contact for specific questions.
* Have all this in a nicely structured document.

I have already committed a sample table of contents in the repository:

http://docs.svn.wordpress.org/trunk/en/translators/handbook.html

There is more readable version here: http://nikolay.bg/mess/handbook.html

On order to move on with the project, I will need some of you to help
with writing and editing the content. The volunteers will get commit
access to the handbook svn repository and can start hacking right away
:-)

Even if you can't help with writing or proof-reading, it would be
great if you have a look at the current table of contents and give
your opinion.

[0] http://codex.wordpress.org/Translating_WordPress