[wp-polyglots] Re: [wordcamp-uk] welsh language (was Re: Website)

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 21:22:16 GMT 2009

On 18 Feb 2009, at 15:50, Carl Morris wrote:

> But I don't see it as an exclusive choice between the two. We can do
> both (WP and WordCamp).
>
> I've been researching this and a little unclear why there's a really
> simple translation interface here http://translate.wordpress.com/
> and also things like this service
> https://translations.launchpad.net/wordpress/2.6/+pots/wordpress/cy/+translate
> (just an example).
> Doesn't that just duplicate efforts?

On is for the strings in use on WordPress.com and one if for the
strings in WordPress core.

WordPress.com will have a larger set of strings to include the
differences in provided features - custom css, file quotas etc.

> The job is not to translate WP2.7, it's to update the old
> translation to generate 2.7 - and then keep that going for 2.8.
> We don't want to keep starting from nothing for each new WP version.
>
> This may be off-topic now (I've joined wp-polyglots) - maybe someone
> could reply off-list?
>
> Westi gave us some advice here about gettext
> http://westi.wordpress.com/2008/10/26/wordpress-in-your-language/
> Again, I'm unclear about how this integrates (if at all) with the
> other translation interfaces.

I think the best place for advise in the wp-polyglots list - I'm sure
you will get good help there.

Also once a good Welsh translation exists it would be good to get a
cy.wordpress.org language site up as well to allow people to download
a pre-built package and to be able to upgrade to the new Welsh release
as new releases become available.

westi
--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5