[wp-polyglots] number_format_i18n and floating point numbers

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Mon Dec 21 08:42:20 UTC 2009

Hi Translators,

We have a ticket open regarding the translations provided for
number_format_i18n - <http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/10555>

Currently the function offers three things for translation:

number_format_decimals - The number of digits to display after the
decimal point
number_format_decimal_point - The character to use as the decimal point
number_format_thousands_sep - The character to use as the thousands
seperator

Looking at these three things I am unsure as to why the first one
needs to be translatable - looking through the repo I think everyone
has it currently set to 0 because otherwise all the numbers will
display as floats not integers.

In there a reason why this needs to be translated?

I would have thought that just having a default behaviour for floats
or even relying on the value the caller provides to the function
(which also effectively defaults to 0) to be specified when they want
to show a float would be good enough.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers
--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5