[wp-polyglots] 404 Not Found on local support forums

Nikolay Bachiyski nb at nikolay.bg
Thu Dec 10 12:29:57 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 13:58, Nikolay Bachiyski <nb at nikolay.bg> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 08:11, Sergey Biryukov <npocmop at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Topics with capital Cyrillic letters in title and slug (about 95% of all)
>> created on http://ru.forums.wordpress.org before December 9th
>> cannot be opened since yesterday. Is it possible to fix them?
>> The newly created topics get lowercase slug.
>>

> I am working on fixing that.

I switched the permalinks to numeric ones and now all old threads are
accessible.

The problem is that bbPress used to only rely on the built-in
strtolower() function, which doesn't work with UTF-8 encoded strings.
This way old slugs contained upper-case characters. Now, bbPress uses
mb_strtolower() whenever possible and this causes a mismatch between
the expected value and the value in the database.

On WordPress.com I had converted a lot of the slugs, but for the
forums numerical slugs are O.K., I think.