[wp-polyglots] Issue with curly quotes.

Xavier Borderie xavier at borderie.net
Thu Aug 13 15:05:58 UTC 2009

Since 2.8, we translators can adapt the curly quotes to the local
usage. This is great, but there seems to be an issue in some case.

In fr_FR, we applied the necessary entities in order to respect French
typographical rules: there has to be a space between the quote word
and the quote.

#. translators: opening curly quote
#: wp-includes/formatting.php:37
msgctxt "opening curly quote"
msgid "“"
msgstr "« "

#. translators: closing curly quote
#: wp-includes/formatting.php:39
msgctxt "closing curly quote"
msgid "”"
msgstr " »"

It works great... except when the quoted section combines these two facts:
  - it also serves entirely as (or ends with) a link ;
  - it is immediately followed by punctuation.

Here is a sample post on my trunk test-blog (2.9-rare, with latest 2.8 PO/MO).

I'm guessing I should file a ticket in Trac for this bug, but maybe
it's not actually a bug, so if anyone here knows better...

--
Xavier Borderie