[wp-polyglots] Unicode characters instead of entities in POT

Thomas Scholz info at toscho.de
Wed Apr 29 05:18:46 GMT 2009

Txopi:

> I think that symbols like » shouldn't be into the translation
> chains. If the coder want's to draw with the text, that shouldn't be
> translateable.

in many languages. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillemets

WordPress has a bad tradidtion of guillemet misuse. But the bug reports
about this issue (http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/9150 and
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/8536) were closed as Wontfix. Yahoo!
does it too, so it can’t be wrong. :(

> I mean, instead of this PHP code:
>    <?php _e('Login &raquo;'); ?>
>
> It should be like this:
>    <?php _e('Login'); ?> &raquo;

Yes, that’s true. Amen.

> There are cases when raquo should be inside the translatable string?

Of course, when they’re used correctly in the target language:

   Klicken Sie »Werkzeuge/Export«, um ihre Artikel zu exportieren.
   Click “Tools/Export” to export your articles.

> About the other fancy characters, i'm sorry but i don't have a formed
> opinion.

UTF-8 knows no fancy characters. » (U+00BB) has a lower code point than ы
(U+044B). Should the russian language files use escaped characters? I
don’t think so.

Thomas

--
Redaktion, Druck- und Webdesign