[wp-polyglots] On muti-language plugins

Nikolay Bachiyski nb at nikolay.bg
Fri Apr 10 14:58:07 GMT 2009

Users ask for a decent multi-language plugin all the time. So, for
some time I used gengo, qTranslate and xili-language to see how each
one fits in users' needs.

Before evaluation (which is boring), I would like to share what I (and
from my experience most of the users) want a multi-language plugin to:
 * Allow me to define several languages for the installation and map
them to WordPress locales
 * Support pretty permalinks, which include language filter, e.g.
example.org/fr/
 * Has a language-switch widget
 * Don't force me to duplicate all the content in all defined languages
 * Implied from the previous one: allow me to tell which post/page is
a translation of which other
 * Supply a template tag to list translations of the current post

Nice-to-haves:
 * Doesn't use additional database tables (additional bonus for using
the taxonomy system)
 * The links in the widget send me to the translation of the current
page, if possible
 * Previous/next links are in the same language

I'd be happy to hear what you want or have heard other people want
from a multi-language plugin.