[wp-polyglots] Redundancy (It was: New language request: Asturian (ISO code: ast))

Txopi txopi at sindominio.net
Wed Oct 29 09:38:39 GMT 2008

Sia Neriman-(e)k idatzi zuen:
> Mikel wrote:
>> At the moment i'm only translating the po file of the application...
>> When i finish i would like to translate also the wordpress.org pages,
>> but first the software ;-)...
>>
>> How can i start my team?
>>
>> Thanks, Mikel.
>>

> yes
> you can start you team her:
> https://launchpad.net/people/+newteam
> and translate the worpress in launchpad.net
> https://translations.launchpad.net/wordpress
>  if you have done with the newteam, Nikolay add it in Wordpress
> translation.

Wordpress basque translators have decided to create eu.wordpress.org but
we also see a duplication of resources that can be confusing for some
(basque) users as we already have a blog to coordinate translations, to
solve problems in basque, to download basque translations, etc.
http://librezale.org/wordpress-eu/

Anyway, we have decided to create the subdomain at wordpress.org and use
it just because the scripts you have developed and to make another extra
reference to our site. As you said, it is not obligatory to post regularly
and I don't think we are going to post there at all because is more work
for us and can increase confusion a lot between basque users. We will not
finish wordpress 2.7 translation and subdomain creation and configuration
for november 10th, but our idea is to start using that resources that the
wordpress core-team provides.

But now, I see that at launchpad, basque language is listed for every
wordpress version. So I have a big doubt. We have translated wordpress
1.2, 1.5, 2.0, 2.3 and 2.5. For version 1.2 we didn't use any web
software. For version 1.5 we used wordpress' launchpad. And afeter that,
we decided to use an (in our opinion) better tool called Pootle.
http://www.librezale.org:8080/eu/wordpress/

We have a mailing list and the blog I mentioned to coordinate
translations, and as you can see, we also have a tool to prepare the
translations before uploading them to wordpress' SVN. Aren't wordpress'
launchpad's basque translations a duplication of resources? I see that
some people started translating wordpress 2.1 into basque on launchpad
probably because they didn't saw that it was a team already working on
that as explained in wordpress' wiki. Isn't that confusing? Can you please
remove all those empty basque translations on launchpad and don't create
new ones in the future?

I agree using a free software project infraestructure to help users help
on localization or whatever the task is, but duplicating resources from
the core-team without any control on what other contributors do, I think
it is bad. I hope we can reach a consensus and work more coordinately.

Cheers,

Txopi.