[wp-polyglots] RC3 and default secret key

Bertilo Wennergren bertilow at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 08:10:05 GMT 2008

Francesc Hervada-Sala wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 30. März 2008 04:32:48 schrieb Bertilo Wennergren:

>> But this means that the explanation in "wp-config(-sample).php" is
>> not complete. The current explanation only says that the user should
>> put a unique phrase in "wp-config.php". But actually the same phrase
>> needs to be put into "<locale>.php" as well. That information is
>> nowhere to be found. As it is now things will only work correctly
>> if you don't change the default "unique" phrase, but you are supposed
>> to change it, right?

> I've looked this up in the code, the unique frase at <locale>.php is just used
> in order to know if the user has changed the default setting at
> wp-config.php. So if you translate this, you must translate both. But the end
> user should only set wp-config.php. In fact, if the user changes both the new
> unique frase will not get used at all.

Yes, I found that out later. It's a bit hard to wrap one's head around
this slightly unusual concept: A default value that should not be used
at all. If it's still there, something random should be used instead.
But this not-be-used value can be changed into another not-to-be-used
value in a localized version... I've never run into that before.

(I know, it's actually a placeholder, not a default... but still
confusing...)

--
Bertilo Wennergren <http://bertilow.com>