[wp-polyglots] About translation files

José Fontainhas jfontainhas at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 19:47:09 GMT 2008

Hello,

We (pt_PT) have finally become 100% comfortable with the translation
workflow for WordPress (which allows us to release RCs at about the same
time as the original version, btw), meaning:

-have a \wordpress-i18n\* structure locally for checking out wordpress.pot
-have the <locale>\* structure locally for committing changes to the
repository
-updating the <locale>.po from the latest wordpress.pot
-editing the changed <locale>.po, generating a changed <locale>.mo
-committing <locale>\*

It works pretty well, but...

We are going to try and setup the same workflow for the other
translations (basically every .pot we can lay our hands on :) ... ). My
questions are:

-As far as I can tell, we've got bbPress covered,
-Is there, or will there be a SVN location for wordpressmu.pot?
-Is there, or will there be a SVN location for rosetta.pot? (for the
<locale>.wordpress.org)
-Are there any plans to reuse strings translated from all (or some) .pot
files in wordpress.com? The reason I ask is that there are nightmarish
discrepancies between the hosted version of WP and the downloadable one.
It seems to me that some kind of consistency could be achieved and
translate.wordpress.com is not the way to go when you've got 1000s of
strings to translate. (Also our "digging" showed that there exists
indeed a wpcom.pot file, not surprisingly under Nikolay's bg_BG branch,
http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress-i18n/bg_BG/wpcom)

Sorry if sounds confusing, just trying to gather some thoughts.

Thanks

Jose