[wp-polyglots] no-code-duplication i18n for WordPress

Stefano Aglietti steagl4ml at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 15:58:51 GMT 2008

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 14:07:47 +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane
<lionel at mamane.lu> wrote:

>Well, it is hardly a "new feature". On the WordPress code side, it is
>literally only adding a few comments, so it doesn't seem completely
>unreasonable to me that it get an exception to the
>"feature-freeze". The point may be moot, because with a release
>scheduled for 2008/3/10, it may not be ready, or tested enough, in
>time anyway. Are you guys planning for simultaneous releases for
>several languages or will translations be at least a few days later?

First of all i wont' like to see new "function" for translation until
some of the developpers will say a word about it, second it's too late
for 2.5 even if is not a code modification. I'm fully sync with trunk
since freeze announce, so when final version will be realeased in 1
day or 2 italian version will be realeased. This new stuff would
require works for test preparing things etc.

>However, if at least some translation teams express interest in this,
>I'm willing to provide a "i18n-ready" tree on the side (e.g. from my
>people.debian.org page) for their 2.5.0/2.5.1/2.5.2 translation
>work; this tree would differ from the official one only by adding the
>special comments. It would also make a good real-scale test for the
>system :)

I would prefere test on a officla branch test. I wouldnt' wanna spend
time on stuff that maybe WP devs will change a bit or totally or
exttend to plugin and theme localization too. This method should
became a real approveded standard for WP files.. until then i can test
unofficially all the works but actully only after the 2.5 release,
cause my time is limited.

Email: steve at 40annibuttati.it steagl at people.it