[wp-polyglots] Strings and _c() function

Abel Cheung abelcheung at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 21:02:31 GMT 2008

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 4:30 AM, Stefano Aglietti <steagl4ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >"Next"
>  >Does this mean next page, next post, next user, or next whatever? They
>  >may require different translation under different context. The vertical bar is
>  >used for clarifying such ambiguity, but later on it is deteriorated as
>  >comment replacement, though such facility is already available in po files.
>  >Anyway, things doesn't break, so it doesn't even worth complaining..
>
>  Actually in the .pot file fo WP i dont't see any use of | just for
>  comment but only for disanbiguitation. there is astring that is just
>  %1$s %$s %$s - %$s %$s or something like that... without the "comment"
>  i should have to look in the code to find what they mean, and they
>  have to be rearderd in some translation (e.g. it_IT) cause is a date
>  and time format

Can you tell me where it is? I don't manage to discover the string you
described. Now let me take some example from wordpress-i18n/trunk:

==========================
#: wp-admin/themes.php:36
#, php-format
msgid "%1$s %2$s by %3$s|1: theme title, 2: theme version, 3: theme author"
msgstr ""
==========================

What is this, if it's not comment? This string only occur once in source code.
The correct way (well, degenerated into _politically_ correct way) is:

#. Translator notes: first argument is theme title, second is theme version,
#. third is theme author
#: wp-admin/themes.php:36
#, php-format
msgid "%1$s %2$s by %3$s"
msgstr ""

==========================
#: wp-includes/formatting.php:1354
msgid ", and |between last two list items"
msgstr ""
==========================

Similar to above example, there is no other string like this one.
There is no ambiguity to be resolved.

==========================
#: wp-admin/includes/schema.php:274
msgid "Author|User role"
msgstr ""
==========================

Now, this "User role" _is_ for disambiguity, since there is another
string "Author"
later on. If this "User role" part is not there, the single string
"Author" has to
be used in 2 different purposes, and can be impossible for some languages.

==========================
#: wp-admin/includes/dashboard.php:343
#, php-format
msgid "%1$s linked here <a href=\"%2$s\">saying</a>, \"%3$s\"|feed_display"
msgstr ""

#: wp-admin/includes/dashboard.php:345
#, php-format
msgid "%1$s linked here saying, \"%3$s\"|feed_display"
msgstr ""
==========================

I _suppose_ this is meant for feed, but to me "feed_display" is neither comment
nor clarifying ambiguity. Is such string occuring elsewhere? No. Is it clear
enough to classify as comment? No. Not to say the string is chopped into
pieces, making it useless for translation. Who add that?

Abel

>  --
>

>  Stefano Aglietti - StallonIt on IRCnet - ICQ#: 2078431
>  Email: steve at 40annibuttati.it steagl at people.it
>  Sites: http://www.40annibuttati.it (personal blog)
>        http://www.wordpress-it.it (WordPress Italia)

Abel Cheung   (GPG Key: 0xC67186FF)
Key fingerprint: 671C C7AE EFB5 110C D6D1  41EE 4152 E1F1 C671 86FF