[wp-polyglots] Hindi Localization

Samuel Murray (Groenkloof) samuel at translate.org.za
Sat Aug 2 13:57:23 GMT 2008

G'day Jai

> I am a native hindi speaker, I would like to
> contribute in the hindi localization process...

I've read your mail and the subsequent thread, and here's my comment.  I
think that if you want to translate WordPress into Hindi, you need to
find (a) other possibly willing translators and (b) existing Hindi
translations of similar systems.

Existing translations can sometimes be used to help pre-translate your
PO file, but in other cases they can also be helpful to figure out how
other translators translated a certain term.

I had an hour or two to spare, and here's what I could come up with:

Sahil Chandra seemed interested in localising Apache Lenya:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.cms.lenya.user/6387
He also has a Gmail address (google for it).

A number of people at DNN seemed interested in starting a Hindi l10n for it:
http://www.dotnetnuke.com/Community/Forums/tabid/795/Default.aspx
Search for "Hindi".

Drupal has seen some Hindi movement:
http://drupal.org/project/hi
http://drupal.org/node/30465
... but there's no official Hindi l10n team of it yet.

EZ Publish has a Hindi language pack:
http://ez.no/download/translations/ez_publish_3_6
Wow, this is a Jackpot!  Their language packs use an older version of
TS, which the Translate Toolkit's ts2po tool can handle.  The pocount
count of EZ Publish's Hindi translation says it's 99% translate, with
25000 words translated.  Only about 200 strings from it are also in
WordPress, but hey, I'm sure it can be useful for seeing how certain
things were translated.  I can't figure out what it's licence is,
though.  Let me know if you need help with what I had just said.

Debashish Chakrabarty seems to be a potentially useful contact:
http://nullpointer.debashish.com/move-over-wordpress-here-comes-habari

There is a large number of strings already in Hindi in Fedora:
http://translate.fedoraproject.org/languages/hi/fedora-8

Joomla has a Hindi language pack:
http://joomlaindia.org/prod/
The language pack is in UTF8 although two of my usually sufficient
Unicode text editors on Windows thought that the file was Latin-1, so
remember to tell the text editor "it is UTF8" when you open the file.
Unfortunately there are no English strings.  The file is about 500 lines
long.

There is a Mambo guy wanting to do Hindi:
http://forum.mamboserver.com/showthread.php?t=46674

Rakesh Ambati once wanted to do Hindi on MediaWiki:
http://playingwithsid.blogspot.com/2008/03/mediawiki-translation-project.html

Sections of MoinMoin has been translated, also by Rakesh:
http://master.moinmo.in/MoinI18n/hi

Vidur Kanodia was doing the Hindi translation of openACS:
http://openacs.org/shared/community-member?user%5fid=209055

And finally, Pankaj Narula did a WordPress Hindi translation:
http://web.archive.org/web/20040722170614/www.pnarula.com/wpd/

Samuel

--
Samuel Murray
samuel at translate.org.za
Decathlon, for volunteer opensource translations
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/decathlon/