[wp-polyglots] Publish date of locale release problem

Kimmo Suominen kimmo at global-wire.fi
Thu Apr 3 03:52:26 GMT 2008

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 08:54:54PM +0200, Francesc Hervada-Sala wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 2. April 2008 20:15:49 schrieb Kimmo Suominen:
> > >
> > > +1, I would like to have both dates, too. The first release date is very
> > > important, that should not go away if one makes a small update with a
> > > typo fix or similar.
> >
> > What's the purpose of the "first release" date?
> >
> > Having two dates sounds confusing to me.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > + Kimmo
>
> Hello all,
>
> if there is a list of available versions with a date, the vistor thinks that
> this is the release date. If you look at the site for my locale
> ca.wordpress.org you think the translation for version 2.3.3 was released  on
> March 9th, but it was released a month sooner. I find it much better to
> have "2.3.3 Feb 5th, 2008 (last updated March 9th, 2008)"

Ok, let me rephrase: what is the added value to the end-user from
the "Feb 5th, 2008" date?

The way I see it, the "March 9th, 2008" date is important, so you can
see how recent changes are included.  The other date has no useful
meaning.  Having two dates just adds unnecessary confusion (and requires
application logic beyond a simple stat() of the built file).

Best regards,
+ Kimmo
--
<A HREF="http://kimmo.suominen.com/">Kimmo Suominen</A>