[wp-polyglots] Translated strings inside database

Nikolay Bachiyski nbachiyski at developer.bg
Tue Oct 9 10:16:17 GMT 2007

2007/10/3, Huda Toriq <hudatoriq at gmail.com>:
> The user role strings in the admin panel: Administrator, Editor,
> Writer, User, Subscriber are translated during installation and then
> dumped into the database. It makes impossible for us to dynamically
> translate it simply by switching the locale environment.
>
> In my opinion, any translatable strings other than blog content
> (sample post, sample comment, sample blogroll, etc) should be placed
> inside a file, not database.

Huda, the problem is that the roles aren't a fixed set of strings. New
roles can be added, old roles can be deleted or updated. Keeping them
in a file just doesn't scale and we can't do it just because it is
more convenient for translation. The application just can't know if a
role name is the default one or it is a new one with a changed name or
other properties.