[wp-polyglots] Why the language files are placed in wp-content/languages directory by WordPress 2.2?

Hasan Karaboga hasan at teknoseyir.com
Thu May 17 05:37:56 GMT 2007

Hi,

In WordPress 2.2 I've observed from the config-sample.php file that the
language file's directory has been changed.
It is now wp-content/languages, instead of wp-includes/languages.
And also, if we place the .mo file into wp-includes/languages, it still
works.
What is the reason for that change?

And, in that document in codex (
http://codex.wordpress.org/Files_For_Direct_Translation)
it is said that "wp-includes/js/quicktags.js - this is entirely JavaScript,
not PHP, so it does not use gettext. All text for buttons, menus, etc. needs
to be translated."
But in WP 2.2, this file is gettexted by wp-includes/scrip-tloader.php file
and we don't have to translate quicktags.js by WP 2.2. Am I right?

Regards,
Hasan.