[wp-polyglots] About Rosetta translations on Launchpad

Xavier Borderie xavier at borderie.net
Thu Jan 11 17:19:36 GMT 2007

Hello Nicolae,

Congrats on your achievement !

I'm the maintainer for the French translation, and we started just like you
did.
Rosetta is a fine tool to get started, but it quickly gets cumbersome. Once
you feel most/all of the strings are translated, you need to get your datas
out of Rosetta - that is, generate the .po file.
This file contains all your translations, and you will only work on this
from now on - but not directly : through dedicated tools like the free
poEdit ( http://www.poedit.org/ ) .

Through this mailing-list, you will be given access (by Ryan, probably) to
the WordPress Internationalization (i18n for short) server, where you will
put your file every time you change it. This is done through a versioing
server called Subversion (or SVN), and upload/update is done with free tools
like TortoiseSVN ( http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ ). If you want to learn
more about the inner workings of SVN, read the free book :
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/
The WordPress i18n server is freely accessible here, where you can see the
other translations' directories : http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress-i18n/

You can find a lot of informations on the Codex. Read this whole page :
http://codex.wordpress.org/Translating_WordPress
Learn about the differences between POT file, PO file and MO file, read
about using Subversion. It's really not that hard to get used to these new
tools, and it's really, really worth it.

x.

--
Xavier Borderie
http://xavier.borderie.net/blog/