[wp-polyglots] L10n

Nikolay Bachiyski nbachiyski at developer.bg
Sat Feb 24 11:25:41 GMT 2007

2007/2/24, Kaspars Foigts <laacz at laacz.lv>:

>   OK. Translating stuff is OK. But when it comes to true localization,
>   there is no way to do that in wordpress without workarounds or
>   messing with code and carefully performing upgrade (merging your
>   code changes with upgrade code changes). What I am talking about, is
>   locale support. For example, for date output wordpress uses date()
>   function, not strftime, which is locale-aware. Why? And when/if it
>   will be changed?

Hello,

In my opinion WordPress should not be dependent on the underlying
operating system locale. Being a web application meant to run on many
and different environments and operating systems the only *really
working* way to have full localization is do it ourselves. For
example: how will you ensure that your hosting provider's server
supports the locale you want?

Anyway, why don't we give the translators the power to shape their
locales the way they want? It isn't a great burden to translate some
date formats and weekdays initials. At least I think so. If you think
it would be better to use the system locale - we will readily hear
your arguments for it and how we could use it