[wp-polyglots] Default Theme

Nikolay Bachiyski nbachiyski at developer.bg
Sat Sep 30 09:02:24 GMT 2006

Ryan Boren wrote:
> Michel Klijmij wrote:
>> Op vr, 29-09-2006 te 17:04 +0300, schreef Nikolay Bachiyski:
>>> The reason (which Matt pointed out) is that there are too many
>>> English-speaking users, who won't like the many __(), and _e()s when
>>> manually changing strings in their blogs!
>>
>> Shouldn't be a problem, they can use a .po like everybody else...
>>
>> If other weblog software and CMS are able to provide everything
>> internationalized, there should be no reason why the WP defaul ttheme
>> isn't.
>
> Not to start this debate again, but the idea is for the default theme to
> be natively translated to each language rather than using gettext.  We
> see a notable decrease in theme related support issues when gettext is
> not present.  Non-english speaking users benefit even more because they
> don't have to look at English strings when modifying their theme.
> sprintf(__("The e-mail was sent successfully to %s's e-mail address."),
> $user_login); is not very easy to read, especially if you don't speak
> English.

Not that I am trying to start the debate again... but
even if the theme is i18ned, maybe it wouldn't be a blindingly stupid
idea to distribute a translated version, just for the reasons you
pointed out. I do agree there are people, who both use the default
theme, won't take the time to cope with gettext and it will be nice to
lend them a hand. It isn't too hard to prepare a version, in which the
English strings are replaced with their translations and no __()s and
_e()s occur in the source.

I am suggesting this, because translating non-gettexted theme and
especially updating the translation with the current source  and is a
tiny nightmare. Thus the translator will be happy and maybe the users too :)

Happy hacking of translations,
Nikolay