[wp-polyglots] searching a tutorial on translating a WP theme

Stefano steagl at people.it
Thu Sep 21 12:40:38 GMT 2006

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:02:52 +0200, Michel Klijmij
<michel at klijmij.net> wrote:

>Then again, most theme authors don't even bother about gettext'ing their
>themes, which should be a bigger concern. It'd be great if we could do
>something about that.

Even if i disagree about not having special localized date for them
and plugins, i agree a lot about this.

I launched here in other mailing list and on IRC meetings too the idea
to launche a "WP Qaulity Ribbon" campaign to stress plugins and theme
developpers to have theyr products meeting a series or requirements
and one of this was a fully I18N. The problem is updates, people
testing theme and plugins to check if they meets the reqeusted feature
etc... so till no nothng was done even if me and another couuple of
people vloounteer about this.

One of the biggest problem is that default theme and plugins are not
I18N, with 2.1 we will have plougns (dbbackup and akismet with theyr
own text-domain so locale distro will have language files and this
will help other plugin developpers do the same. Even the header info
show on the plugins dashboard could be localized even if using a
slightly different method than an extternal laguage files.

The problem is for theme, since 1.2.x version we decided to remove all
gettext functions from distributed theme, but now iI think was a bad
idea and having I18N back to the distro theme would be a great thing,
that coudld encourage theme devoloppers to do the same.

Email: steve at 40annibuttati.it steagl at people.it