[wp-polyglots] Re: [wp-testers] i18n strings disambiguation

Abel Cheung abelcheung at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 17:31:43 GMT 2006

On 10/27/06, Pandem <pandemtandem at gmail.com> wrote:
> > In glib, only Q_() attempts to strip context, and it strips it only if
> > the original string is not translated.  This means translators should
> > never translate the context.  They must discard everything before the
> > "|".
> >>
> >> "|" is fine.  Do we want a separate Q_() like function for those
> >> situations that require context?
> Ok, then I think we do need a separate Q_() like function, just in
> case... Otherwise, strings using "|" could get stripped in English.

And if possible, it might be a good idea to strip everything before
"|" in the _translated_ string as well. Quite a large portion of
GNOME translators are known to include the context and put it in
translated text too, either because they don't check translation
comment or they simply don't know it is a context.

Abel

> Maira

Abel Cheung   (GPG Key: 0xC67186FF)
Key fingerprint: 671C C7AE EFB5 110C D6D1  41EE 4152 E1F1 C671 86FF