[wp-polyglots] RE: wp-polyglots Digest, Vol 14, Issue 13

Simos Xenitellis simos74 at gmx.net
Thu Mar 23 22:30:24 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 01:55 +0530, Hemang wrote:
> Dear Simos,
> Thanks.
>
> Thanks for the quick help.
>
> Not only does the text overflow in Opera and Firefox, they do not render the text correctly. I now realise from another source that this is the problem with both the browser, as they do not support Open Type. Internet Explorer does support Open Type so the problem is not that serious for time being.

Can you check if
http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=116921501&size=o
shows your page better?
This will help in filling a bug report on Firefox so that it gets fixed
in newer versions.

> You said:
> > However, you are looking in simply writing content in Gujarati/Hindi and
> > have them appear on your Website. As long as your Website/WordPress
> > (http://www.hemang.co.in/blog/) is configured properly for
> > Unicode/UTF-8, so everything is perfect there.
>
> Currently, I am interested in just posting my entries in Gujarati. I do not need to modify/edit my Word Press setup, as at least IE users can read my blog correctly.

In the administration page of WordPress, under Options/Reading, the
encoding should be set to UTF-8, which I assume you already have set.

> However, I would like to participate in localisation process of Word Press, and would like to work on translation/localisation process simultaneously. I want to encourage non English content on the net especially for my community. I have downloaded PoEdit. Can you guide me to any document on WP Codex which specifies/guides localisation of WordPress?

As I mentioned below, there are two components to localise (in order
words, translate).
My recommendation is to start with translating your theme.
I am not sure if your current theme has been internationalised so you
can translate. Perhaps someone can help here.

A nice internationalised theme is Giraffe,
http://www.urbangiraffe.com/themes/giraffe
You grab the translation file (in the package above, it's called
"giraffe.po") and open with poEdit. You then translate.
poEdit can compile the file into a .mo file. Name it "gu.mo" and place
it in the directory on your Web server that contains the theme.
For example, for me, it's
http://simos.info/blog/wp-content/themes/giraffe/el.mo

Then, edit wp-config.php to set the language to "gu".
Reload the page and you are set.

Simos