[wp-polyglots] Need help setting up wp blog in India language.

Simos Xenitellis simos74 at gmx.net
Wed Mar 22 19:56:29 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 23:26 +0530, Hemang Tannaa wrote:
> hello everyone,
>
> Hi, I am a screen playwright and filmmaker living and working from
> Mumbai, India.
> I am new to WP and blogging but I could upload and install wp in just
> one attempt. Great product ... I am thrilled.
>
> However, I need specific help as i am only interested in posting my
> blog entries in Indian languages, specifically in Gujarati or Hindi. I
> have modified the wp-config file as under:
>
> define ('WPLANG', 'gu_IN');
>

> This seems to be working well with IE 6.0. But the text does not show
> up properly in Firefox 1.5  and Opera 8.53.
> Is this all that i have to do to display text in UNICODE OpenType
> Indian language fonts like 'Shruit' or 'Mangal'?
>
> I read the codex about modifying .mo file but don't know anything
> about editing or creating this. WP site does not have any .mo file for
> Indian languages. If someone can create a .mo file for me or help me
> create one for myself i shall be happy to upload it on WP site for
> others to use.
>
> Can anyone please give me a solution about this. I will be much
> obliged.

Dear Hemang,
The localisation of WordPress will allow you to see the administrative
menus and options of WordPress in your language. This does not affect
the content you write. Therefore, if you would like to translate
WordPress into Hindi or Gujarati, we can help you out. The amount of
work totals to about 1200 sentences/messages.

If you would like to translate the messages that appear on your blog to
your visitors, such as "meta:", "login", "comments rss" and so on, you
need to translate the "theme" of your WordPress. The amount of work for
a typical theme is about 120 short sentences/messages.

However, you are looking in simply writing content in Gujarati/Hindi and
have them appear on your Website. As long as your Website/WordPress
(http://www.hemang.co.in/blog/) is configured properly for
Unicode/UTF-8, so everything is perfect there.

So, what could the problem be? It could simply be issues with rendering
of complex scripts by Firefox and Opera. I do not speak these languages,
and I do not know how it should look properly. What I can see with
Firefox 1.0.7 is that the text overflows to the right column. Is that
the issue?

What I would recommend is to ask for input at the IndLinux project at
http://indlinux.org/
There exist mailing lists to provide help with the localisation process.

Simos Xenitellis
http://simos.info/blog/