[wp-polyglots] Trying to translate a plugin

Stefano steagl at people.it
Tue Feb 28 15:19:16 GMT 2006

Il Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:12:09 +0100, Karl Wångstedt
<kalle at wangstedt.net> scrive:

>I second that. That would perhaps also make the plugin authors who
>don't i18n currently to be aware of the possibility to do so as well.

Having a language directory won't help to have more attention by
developers, actually thy don't care much about it cause most of them
speak english and have a english centric vison of the world.

>Maybe even have ALL languages files moved to (perhaps) /wp-content/
>languages to keep them all in one place.

A them with for example 10 languages actually included need to be
installed simply coopyng it's directory under the theme dir, same for
a complex plugin with lot of program files and images etc. Having a
separated directory for languages will ask the user to upload the
language file into a differente place, when them nd plugin get
upgraded user have to remeber to copy again the update languages etc
etc.

The actual system for internationalization has nothing bad in it, the
fact is poor used is just the lazyness of developers and some not so
clear documentation.

Suppose that wp offer a showcase for best plugin and theme and to have
this one of the thing you must have is to have a fully
internatuionalized theme, to get visibility the developper WILL use
the right methods, having a fully I18N demo plugin and them will help.
Probably next distro of WO will came with a new theme more
sophisticated than default one, this theme MUST ne I18N cause it will
used as a base for future theme as kubrik vas for lot of developers.

I had some expirienced and with some of care and help to developers
they are happy to have their prodcts I18N. If all the traslation tema
will care for developpers of theyr countru and we put some good infos
on the codex we can get a better result them mess up with gettex
system fo WP and dirctory locations.

Email: steve at 40annibuttati.it steagl at people.it