[wp-polyglots] WordPress 2.next

Jeffrey Tam jeffreytam at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 06:06:10 GMT 2006

Hi All,

As a contributor to the Chinese translation of WP, I would like to share
some of my ideas of WP localization.

Usually for a freeware or shareware, separate packages are available on the
download site for different languages. People can simply pick the package
they need and easily install it. Or, they can easily select the language
they want during the installation.

The current version of WP is doing a good job in it's installation and
upgrade parts. However, localization is still not as "the-state-of-art" as
other parts. People whose first language is not English may find it
difficult to even install it, let alone to localize it after installing.

As we already have a repository of well translated MO files for many major
languages, can we just compile some "official" localized versions of WP for
the future distributions?

It will definitely help the people who loves WP but not so familiar with
English or the localization process.

Meanwhile, if anyone is interested in contributing to the Chinese
translations, please contact me :)

--
Best Regards,
Jeffrey Tam