[wp-polyglots] Suggestions for better localizations

Stefano steagl at people.it
Fri Feb 17 13:32:21 GMT 2006

Il Fri, 17 Feb 2006 13:38:22 +0100, Karl Wångstedt
<kalle at wangstedt.net> scrive:

>Another thing. How do you and your translating teams do when updating
>translations from previous versions? Do you sit down and do the
>whole .pot all over again?

Nope, i grab a copy of the 1.5.x .po files i have, i update it using
Catalog->Update from POT file using the latest .pot files on I18N SVN
that is updated regualry but less often than the nightly build of WP.

The latest POT can be found at:
http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress-i18n/pot/trunk/wordpress.pot

For what you wanna do now better get the proper tagged version at:
http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress-i18n/pot/tags

This way poEdit will add new strings, delete old ones and mark strings
that should have problem (you will see different colours)

Obiously me and my tema will review all the translation for errors
etc.

I personally use the SVN repository fro wp and localization, during
developping of new release i don't wait the final release but I update
the translation on regular base (once per week or so) and I commit the
cnahges to the SVN repository a well.

Consider we do not only localize WP with .mo files but we localize the
default theme as weel as other small stuff, like config-sample.php so
people will get a WP distribution that it's alrady ready for italian
with practically no works more than the one needs for english setup.

If you explore http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress-i18n you will see
it's quite the same thing that all he localizatin team does, with soem
slightly difference.

Email: steve at 40annibuttati.it steagl at people.it