[wp-polyglots] Missing string

Niels Brons wordpress at nielsbrons.nl
Thu Feb 16 10:50:33 GMT 2006

Stefano schreef:

>Il Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:09:25 +0200, Kimmo Suominen
><kimmo+key+wordpress.c4f53f at suominen.com> scrive:
>

>>>I'm opening a ticket on TRAC now and submitting a patch, the ticket
>>>is:
>>>
>>>http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2452
>>>

>>I think the defaults should actually really be in English, always.
>>
>>Many themes are in English and don't support localization.  If you run
>>such a theme on a localized install, you will have some unpleasant mixed
>>language on the resulting public pages.
>>

>You right, i didn't thoink about this point...
>

>>In other words, all theme localization should come from the language
>>file (po file) of the theme only, *not* from the backend language file
>>(the one in wp-includes/languages).
>>

>Right, now making the patch last night I'm quite sure I saw other
>function that have default text parameters localized, so probably it
>needs to make a patch to strip out the gettext function in these case.
>
>Unfortunatly actually lot of themes use a mix of localization, having
>gettext function in 70% of text, no text domain definition and other
>text ungettexed. This it's due to the old versione of Kubrick used as
>a base for lot of themes, used as bases for other themes etc.
>
>The choise to have the defaul theme ungettexed to make it simple for
>users ended as a not so good idea, probably 2.nexr will have some
>other default themes (one or more), I think this new theme should be
>come fully I18N to give future theme developper something to work on
>that it's more similar to what a really good theme should be. The same
>for plugins.
>
>I'm stressing the idea to have a sort of "WP quality ribbon" for theme
>and plugins, that have to meet some characteristic and one of them
>it's to be fully I18N so we can have a large base of multilanguage
>theme nd plugins that will improve non english user expirience.
>
>Actually we should start a codex page, where various team can post the
>them and plugins they internationalized/localized so other team can
>jump oon them and make theyr locale version. I suppose some theme and
>plugin have been I18N more than once by different teams, and this is a
>wase of time and efforts.

There are some great theme's 'gettexted', 2 are made by Ainslie Johnson:

http://webgazette.co.uk/2006/02/01/wp-andreas06-update/
http://webgazette.co.uk/2006/01/10/wordpress-theme-localisation/

(I hope this isn't considered spam as it's not my website).

The "quality ribbon" and codex seems a good idea. Making theme's
localizable by default is just a fraction more work but makes the
existence of numerous people that much easier.