[wp-polyglots] gettext default theme

Mihailo Stefanović mikis at mikis.org
Mon Feb 28 22:19:10 GMT 2005

> Done. I also made all messages which only used one %s use
> %1$s as well, so users don't have to learn two formats.

Even as more experienced user, I find this more confusing and prone to errors than using just "%s" (where possible, of course)

> - __()'ized all PHP date() formats in calls to the_time(),
> get_the_time(), comment_date() and comment_time(), and added
> default formats where they were not specified, so that date &
> time formats can be gettexted. For example, the default post
> date format on the archive pages is 'l, F jS, Y', which
> becomes 'Sunday, February 27th, 2005' in English. However,
> the Danish translation, for example, would want to change
> this to 'l, j. F Y', which becomes 'søndag, 27. februar 2005'.

Remind me again: why do we have default date format in WP admin interface? What is it used for, if we are going to override in Themes? I find it really confusing.  An an end user, you set a date format in very logical place (General Options), but your theme shows something completely different; and to change it, you have to learn about these "weird" .po and .mo files.