[wp-polyglots] Locale Directory Structure

Stefano steagl at people.it
Mon Feb 28 10:52:29 GMT 2005

Il Mon, 28 Feb 2005 00:07:12 -0500, K Suominen <ksuominen at gmail.com>
scrive:

>The fi_FI locale currently already has fully automated packaging
>implemented.  It can also be easily extended to cover more locales, by
>calling make(1) recursively, e.g. from an upper-level directory.

Good for *nix users but for win user? :)

>> ./fr_FR/trunk/dist:
>> license.txt  readme.html
>
>The only definitive version of the GPL is the one in English -- it is
>probably not a good idea to replace the English version in any
>distribution.

We are going to leave the license.txt as it is in WP distribution and
for it_IT we make a licenza.html that's recalled by the readme.html
(translated) and licenza.html will have a link to license.txt and a
disclaimer at the top of the file telling that only the english
version is the official ones and that locale version is only for
helping to understand the license. Some locale, unofficiale license
aready translated can be found on www.gnu.org usually made by National
Linux User Group.

>I think at least a couple other translations in addition to Finnish
>are providing a separate file with a translated GPL for assistance in
>interpreting the definitive version.  That seems to be what other
>projects have done as well.  (Maybe it is a GNU guideline, but I
>haven't checked.)

Right!

>> I notice that some locales are providing different versions of the
>> default theme for each character set they support.  Let's decide on a
>> structure for this.  How about:
>>
>> lc_CC/trunk/theme/UTF-8/index.php
>> lc_CC/trunk/theme/ISO-8859-1/index.php

I still dont' see the need to have charset version if the translation
is made using entities. We as Italian team did and files are all UTF-8

Email: steagl at people.it - steagl at despammed.com
BlogPage: http://www.40annibuttati.it/
PGP keys available on keyservers  (cripted & signed PGP mail welcome)